Pages

Wednesday, May 25, 2011

Working Out & Loving It!

Let me just say that Couch to 5k is difficult! When I decided to start this program, I knew it would be hard, but I also knew that I needed to have something to work towards or I would be quick to become lazy about going to the gym. Well, I now have 2 weeks of training under my belt (6 weeks total of going to the gym!), and it feels great! Even though I find myself wondering if I will actually be able to ever run a 5k, I also find myself very motivated to try.

The first week of training consisted of a brisk 5 minute walking warm-up followed by 60 seconds of jogging and 90 seconds of walking - for 25 total minutes. Last week it was supposed to be the 5 minute warm-up followed by 90 seconds jogging and 2 minutes walking, however - for some reason I got it in my head that it was supposed to be 90/90. So, that's what I did. Yep, made it harder than it needed to be. BUT, I did it! And that's the important part. Now I'm totally ready for week 3: 2 reps of 90 sec jog/90 sec walk/3 min jog/3 min walk. I think I can - I think I can - I think I can...

I can't believe how much my attitude towards working out has changed. I'm really enjoying it! It's helped tremendously to have someone to work out with and motivate me. My friend, Marci, has become my "personal trainer" and I believe there are days when she's actually trying to kill me. Not really, but it feels like it afterward! If I would be trying to do this all on my own, I'd have given up a long time ago. Sad, but true. I know me too well.

The one big discouragement for me has been the scale - it just won't budge! Grrr.... However, the one huge encouragement for me has been that my clothes are definitely getting looser. My husband pointed out the other day that maybe I should start using a belt, since I'm forever pulling up my pants/shorts. I laughed, but he's right, I am! I can't wait until the end of May, because I get to measure myself. That should help make up for the scale issue... Marci told me to toss the scale...

Gearing up for week 3 of 5k training!

1 comment:

Dee said...

Hey, are you drinking LOTS of water or something like crystal light? When i remember to drink lots, it's amazing how the scale goes down. Can't wait to see you this weekend