Pages

Wednesday, May 12, 2010

Start Somewhere

We all know what it takes to lose weight. We hear it all the time:

"Eat healthy. Exercise. Drink Water. Get Sleep."

It sounds so easy. Then why isn't it? For me, it's actually taking that knowledge and using it - I haven't done that. Until now. For some reason, when I stepped on that scale and saw 230 pounds, something clicked in my brain. The fact that I actually let myself reach that weight scared me! And I did do this to myself. I can't blame anyone else. So what am I going to do about it?

I really don't like to exercise. I have a lot of dvds that are gathering dust because I just don't enjoy doing them. So I needed to find something that would work for me. And I did - I found an old exercise bike at a thrift store for $5 - and I'm using it every day. Sure, I could've gone out and bought one of those fancy new ones with all the bells and whistles, but I wanted to be sure that I would actually use it! I know too many people who have bikes and treadmills that they never use! I'm at 10 minutes a day right now.
I have seriously cut back on my portion sizes. This has always been the hardest thing for me, because I LOVE food and I LOVE to eat! Lucky, or unlucky depending on how you look at it, I got really sick 2 weeks ago and basically didn't eat for 3 days. The result was that my stomach shrunk a LOT! I am determined not to stretch it back out. I am basically eating half of what I used to. For example, we went to Applebee's last weekend and I ordered my favorite, the Fiesta Lime Chicken. When my food came, I divided the entire dish in half - ate half and boxed the rest. I left feeling very satisfied. Before, I would've devoured the entire entree plus an appetizer and maybe even dessert. I'm a little stunned that it doesn't take nearly as much food to satisfy me as I once thought.

I drink lots of water and I'm trying really hard to get at least 7-8 hours of sleep a night.

I'm convinced that cutting back on how much food I eat will be the key to my success at losing weight. Yes, exercise is very important, but it doesn't have to be an hour a day at the local gym. It can start with a brisk 10 minute walk every day, or riding an exercise bike for 10 minutes - while watching your favorite tv show. Even chasing your kids around the yard counts. The key is to do something, anything.

I've been setting small goals for myself each week since the beginning of April. Something that's easily attainable, but will give me results if I stick to it. This week my goal is to ride my exercise bike for 15 minutes a day. 

So don't just sit there feeling bad about your extra weight. That's what I did for a long time, and look where it got me - nowhere! Start today. Don't give up when you mess up. Just start over. It's never too late!

2 comments:

webless said...

Good for you, Faith! Your health alone is a great reason to do this (and your honesty is beautiful). Hang in there!

Faith K. said...

Thank you, Leslie!