Pages

Wednesday, May 26, 2010

Weight Down Wednesday

Wow! It's amazing how much a sick child can affect your computer time! Needless to say, it's been a stress-filled week and I was extremely apprehensive about stepping on the scale this morning. The good news is that I didn't gain a pound, but I didn't lose either. Stayed right at 217. That's ok! I'm going to chalk it up to a week of no sleep. Which brings up a very good topic - SLEEP.

Did you know that our bodies require sleep for a reason? In fact, here are 5 really good reasons to get at least 7-8 hours of sleep each night:

  1. Learning and memory: Sleep helps the brain commit new information to memory.
  2. Metabolism and weight: Chronic sleep deprivation may cause weight gain!Ouch!
  3. Safety: Sleep loss contributes to a greater tendency to fall asleep during the day.
  4. Mood: Sleep loss may result in irritability, impatience, inability to concentrate, and moodiness. Hmmm....
  5. Disease: Sleep deprivation alters immune function, including the activity of the body’s killer cells. Keeping up with sleep may also help fight cancer.
A year ago, I walked several miles faithfully every day for a month. I lost an inch around my thighs, but not an ounce of weight. Why? I was getting about 4-5 hours of sleep a night. The lesson here is that it doesn't matter how much you exercise - if you aren't getting enough sleep, your body goes into preservation mode. We need sleep. Since that time, I try very hard to get at least 7-8 hours of sleep a night. Not only do I feel better during the day, I function so much better!

No comments: