Pages

Thursday, June 3, 2010

"Bye" Week Needed...

I think it's only fair to claim a "bye" week here. First of all, bloating makes me very afraid to step on the scale - so I'm not going to. Maybe that's a cop-out, but why make myself feel depressed when in a week I know I'll feel much better? Second, I've exercised once in a week - yikes! Another good reason to not step on the scale. I've been good with my diet, but that's about it. So, next Wednesday, I'll weigh in and let you know the results.

Speaking of diets, it seems like there is always something new and fabulous out there - touting its ability to make you lose tons of weight and feel great. I've tried a couple of them and have come to this conclusion: The best way to lose weight and keep it off is to eat/drink right, exercise and get plenty of sleep.

Eating right can mean a lot of things. For me, it means portion control and drinking plenty of water. I'm not as concerned about what I eat, just that I don't over-eat! I don't make a habit of taking second helpings, and I try really hard to keep my serving sizes small. Sure, I have "relapses", but not very often!

My exercise consists of doing something that requires movement and effort on my part. So just sitting outside watching my daughter run around doesn't count. Haha!! Seriously, though, I'm a terrible exerciser and I have to really make myself do it. Like I said, I haven't done a thing the past week except for a walk on Tuesday. That won't get me where I want to be. Thankfully, today is a new day!

What is plenty of sleep? For me, it's at least 7 hours with 8 being ideal. My hubby works 2nd shift, so he gets home around 11:30 and I usually stay up so I can spend some time with him. This means bedtime for me can run anywhere from 12:30-2:00am. This is ok if my daughter sleeps until 9, but that's not always the case. I need to be a lot more disciplined about sleep. I'm pretty sure that lack of sleep has been a big contributor to my weight gain... sad, isn't it?

With that being said, today is a new day with a new opportunity to do things right. I'm not going to give up - like I would have in the past - I'm going to take advantage of this day with its beautiful weather and get moving!

No comments: