Pages

Monday, June 21, 2010

Healthy Snacks, Please

Good nutrition has been on my mind a lot lately, and I'm realizing that I really need to do something about it! My little 4-year old likes to forage for snacks in the kitchen and I haven't been good about keeping healthy things on hand - that needs to change. As I look at my shelves right now, I have Ritz crackers, chewy granola bars and oreos...and in the fridge I have fudge-cicles, icies, go-gurt  and carrots. Not much to choose from for snacks and not all that great for you - except for the yogurt and carrots, of course. So, I'm making a list of healthy snacks, things I can buy or make, that will be better for all of us. Oh, and all of that on a very limited budget. It's not like I can go out and spend $50 a week on healthy snack foods...

Some of the things I've come up with are:

  • mozzarella cheese sticks
  • veggies & dip
  • homemade granola bars

As you can see, it's not a very long list, pathetic actually - - I need suggestions!!! What do you keep in your house for snacks? Or are you struggling just like me? I really want to set a good example for my daughter when it comes to nutrition, and I haven't been doing so well. In spite of me, she's very healthy and I would like to keep it that way. In fact, I would like to say that she's healthy because of me. So that's my new challenge, starting this week - healthy snacks for the entire family!

3 comments:

Diane said...

I stuggle w/ this too, but have been trying to do better. Homemade granola bars are awesome! So good, so easy, so cheap! I use mostly honey(rather than a lot of sugar) & organic rolled oats & then you can add dried fruit or nuts or whatever to make them really healthy or not as healthy. :)
Other ideas: fresh fruit, nuts, homemade muffins, veggies, dried fruit

Annika said...

Bananas, one of my children would eat 4 a day if I'd let him. We normally eat them plain but sometimes with peanut-butter.
Apples, I started keeping tract and realized we eat about 15# of apples a week, it's incredible how many I buy! Good thing my tree is full :)
Carrots, bags and bags of carrots, my kids loves these too. The little girls like theirs best steamed and cold.
Raw veggies cut and ready to snack on. Use plain yogurt to make a dip, it's healthier.
Nuts, I buy them at Stringtown and keep in the freezer. I like them frozen best.
Homemade granola bars made with Agave or honey.
Cheese Sticks
Homemade Fudge Bars
Frozen Mixed fruit frozen in individual cont.I reuse yogurt cups.
Corn Chips and Salsa
Hard Boiled Eggs

Dee said...

some 100 calorie ideas: 1/2 cup cubed cantalope with1/2 cup cottage cheese, 5 medium strawberries w/ 1 piece of light string cheese (60cal cheese); I buy Frigo's from walmart. 1/2 apple w/ string cheese. 1/4 cup honey roasted soy nuts (can get at stringtown). 12 almonds. 2 celery stalks w/ 1 TB peanut butter.