Pages

Tuesday, June 22, 2010

Baby Steps To Good Nutrition

Thanks for all the great snack ideas! They will be implemented into this previously unhealthy house of mine. This morning I went to the grocery store and as I was leaving, noticed that they had over-ripe bananas for .10 cents a pound! So I grabbed a couple bags - - for only .55 cents!! Smoothies, here I come! I already have frozen blueberries and strawberries, add some yogurt and a little milk and tada - delicious fruit smoothie. That should take care of our required fruit serving for the day.

Last week I went to a very interesting meeting about nutrition and how most of us don't eat nearly enough fruits and veggies. So, in addition to coming up with healthy snacks, I want to incorporate more fruits and veggies into our daily diet. I like fresh fruit, I'm just horrible about buying it and then not eating it. I tend to do the same thing with veggies. Kind of defeats the purpose, don't you think? I'm trying really hard to change that! Last week, when I got home from the store, instead of just putting the produce right into the fridge, I cleaned and cut it up. This meant that the grapes actually got eaten. I know, I should've been doing this long ago, but I wasn't. Now I am. This should put us on the right track to getting those important daily nutrients.

I've also started buying my eggs from a local farmer. I'm amazed at the difference in the eggs. Sunday morning I made pancakes for breakfast, and when my hubby walked into the kitchen he looked in the pan and asked if we were having corn pancakes. I laughed and told him that's what pancakes look like when you use farm fresh eggs - the yolks are a lot more yellow. It was pretty funny! That being said, I'm convinced these eggs are much better for us. Those chickens roam all over the farm and their eggs taste wonderful.

I'm slowly getting our family into a good nutrition mode. Slowly. But I am getting there, and that is what counts.

No comments: